Amarillo-area motorists are urged to slow down, use extra caution, and expect lane changes as they travel through work zones on Interstates 27 and 40 on Thursday, April 4th.
Motorists traveling southbound on Interstate 27, traffic will be moved from the current lane of travel to the newly constructed southbound bridge Thursday.
Reconstruction of the I-27 and Hollywood Road interchange is part of the expansion of State Loop 335 to a 4-lane freeway with frontage roads.
Motorists traveling I-40 at Ross and Arthur streets are encouraged to find alternate routes Thursday as the following is scheduled to take place:
- Arthur Street will be closed under I-40 from 6 a.m. until 4 p.m. Thursday, April 4 for the I-40 at Arthur bridge deck placement.
- The left lane of both I-40 eastbound and westbound will be closed at Arthur Street for 24 hours beginning at 5 a.m. on Thursday, April 4.
- The northbound I-27 ramp to eastbound I-40 will be closed for 24 hours beginning at 5 a.m. on Thursday, April 4.
- Traffic on I-40 westbound, west of Arthur Street, will be switched during the night of Thursday, April 4, from the right lanes to the left lanes. At the same time, both ramps from I-40 westbound to US 87 northbound (downtown) and I-27 southbound, will be closed through Friday, May 3, while bridge repairs are made.
- Motorists needing to travel north on US 87 or south on I-27 will need to proceed to Washington Street and use the turnaround to reenter I-40 eastbound and then use the northbound US 87 or southbound I-27 ramps.