APD Responds to Early Morning Fire
Amarillo Fire Department Photo: AlphaMediaAmarillo

The Amarillo Fire Department responded to a structure fire on the morning of January 5th in the 800 block of South Manhattan Street.

Units arrived on the scene at 9:40 am and reported seeing smoke billowing from the back of a single-story home.

Firefighters discovered a downed power line in the backyard that was shut off by Excel, but the fire was instead found to have been started by a dog knocking over a lit candle.

The resident was checked out by paramedics for smoke inhalation but refused transport, and both they and the dog made it out safely.

More about: