Tech falls to No. 5 North Carolina in ITA Indoor quarterfinals
MADISON, Wis. – The No. 8 Lady Raiders dropped a 4-1 decision to No. 5 North Carolina in the quarterfinals of the ITA Indoor National Championships Saturday afternoon.
The Tar Heels (8-0) captured the doubles point with wins on courts one and two. Texas Tech (5-1) earned the win on court three to force UNC to play out the doubles. Duo Alex Valenstein and Lana Rush defeated Marika Akkerman and Makenna Jones, 6-4, marking their sixth win of the season.
In singles play, No. 78 Alexa Graham took down #108 Sarah Dvorak in straight sets (6-0, 6-1) giving the Tar Heels a 2-0 advantage.
Senior No. 13 Gabriela Talaba scored the Lady Raiders’ lone point with a 6-3, 6-4 win over No. 6 Alle Sanford. The win was her first over a Top 10 opponent this season.
North Carolina captured its third and fourth points of the match with back-to-back wins on courts four and three, advancing to the semifinals.
The Lady Raiders will face No. 4 Georgia in the quarterfinal consolation on Sunday at 3:30 p.m.
ITA Indoor National Championships
#8 Texas Tech vs. #5 North Carolina
- #30 Aney/Graham def. #16 Federici/Dvorak, 6-4
- #20 Sanford/Daavettila def. Talaba/Maltby, 4-6
- Valenstein/Rush def. Akkerman/Jones, 6-4
- #13 Gabriela Talaba def. #6 Alle Sanford: 6-3, 6-4
- #44 Felicity Maltby vs. #10 Makenna Jones: 4-6, 5-6, unfinished
- #52 Sara Daavettila def. #72 Sabrina Federici: 6-3, 6-4
- #21 Jessie Aney def. Alex Valenstein: 7-5, 6-3
- #78 Alexa Graham def. #108 Sarah Dvorak: 6-0, 6-1
- Lana Rush vs. Chloe Ouellet-Pizer: 7-6(3), 3-5