The Amarillo Fire Department responded to a fire at an apartment complex that has displaced 4 families. Just before 2:30 Tuesday morning crews responded to the fire in the 600 block of South Nelson to the 4-unit apartment where they found heavy smoke and fire showing. The fire was brought under control by 3 am and officials say the fire damage was contained to one unit but the other 3 units did sustain smoke and water damage. An occupant said that she placed a space heater too close to her mattress, causing it to catch on fire. She panicked and threw laundry on top of the fire to try to smother the flames, but it only caused the fire to grow larger. Damages from the fire have been estimated at $25,000.